Monday, July 5, 2010

Portals of Silence

Do you ever rush home and check your email..... then Facebook..... then your phone (first texts, then voicemails or missed calls).... all to see if someone was thinking about you and contacted you to tell you so?

Have you ever seen the movie He's Just Not That into You? I have a love-hate relationship with that movie. I don't hate it because it's bad-- but because it's true and it hits uncomfortably close to home.

There's this part where Drew Barrymore's character (Mary) is venting about the mess that is communicating with guys. She rants, “I had this guy leave me a voice mail at work, so I called him at home, and then he emailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell, and then he emailed me to my home account, and the whole thing just got out of control, and I miss the days when you had one phone number and one answering machine, and that one answering machine had one casette tape, and that one casette tape either had a message from a guy or it didn’t, and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies. It’s exhausting.”

Rejected by seven different technologies. Exhausting? Yeah, I should say so-- and depressing. It all goes back to the Black Hole of Communication. It's not just about guys; it's still about prospective jobs and unreturned emails and just the feeling of "ooh, maybe there will be something exciting in my email"... "on Facebook"... "on my phone"???? and then nothing.

All these different portals that should allow communication to flow more smoothly and more often. In a perfect world, perhaps. But in this world, I'm afraid it means getting rejected by many different portals that remain silent as they guard the door to the Black Hole.

And I am not a fan.

Can you tell I had no exciting email today? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews