Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Birth of a butterfly

I just got off the phone with a wise friend of mine from Philly. She shared an illustration with me that I don't remember hearing before.... I'm not sure if it's a well-known one that I just missed out on, or if it's original to her-- but either way, it hit home with me.

She talked about the butterfly's change from a caterpillar to a butterfly-- how if you try to help it through the painful struggle of shedding its cocoon too soon, you'll actually hurt it. You'll prevent the butterfly's wings from being as strong as they need to be, and it'll be detrimental down the road.

I want so badly to be done with this cocoon of uncertainty. But it's not time yet.

Lord, help me believe that you're just preparing me for what I need in the future-- that you're making something beautiful, and that you'll only keep me in this "cocoon" for as long as I need to be and not a moment longer. Help me to believe-- and to believe deeply!! -- that you are working out my good-- no, my best-- even when it's a painful process.

Just like you do for the butterfly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews