Saturday, July 17, 2010

"Dwell in the land...."

Psalm 37:3-4. My new member verses when I joined Tenth (was that really four years ago?!).

"Trust in the Lord and do good;
dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness.
Delight yourself in the Lord,
and he will give you the desires of your heart."

I read these verses again the other day, and the phrase "dwell in the land and befriend faithfulness" has been playing over and over again in my head ever since.

Dwell in the land.... that's why I bought my house in Philly. So I could really dwell in the land-- not just float from block to block each year as my lease was up. And now I'm in Brooklyn, with no idea of how long I'll be here. How do I live out this command when I don't even know which land I'm really going to dwell in?

I just got off the phone with one of my good friends, and we were talking about this same thing (funny how your life starts to have certain themes to it). She said, "I think that as long as you don't live like you're leaving, it's okay." Or to say it another way, "Wherever you are, be all there." (Yes, I stole that from Jim Elliott.) But maybe it's true? While I'm in Brooklyn, I will dwell in this land. Maybe it'll be for the rest of my life; maybe it will be until the end of August. But I will live like I'm not leaving. And I will befriend faithfulness. I will "live to the hilt every situation I believe to be the will of God" (that's the rest of Jim Elliott's quote).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews