Thursday, July 15, 2010

Blue Skies Smilin' at Me....

New York Philharmonic. Central Park. Picnic. Fireworks.

Don't mind if I do!

So Steve, Ellen, and I met up with James and Nathafi on the Great Lawn, spread out our blankets and enjoyed sushi and chips with hummus (an interesting combo, I agree) while the New York Philharmonic played on.

It has rained more yesterday and today than it has the rest of the summer combined. The forecast for tonight? More rain. Thunderstorms, even! I wanted to go to this concert so badly; I prayed the rain would hold off. But you know God has more important things to do than to hold off the rain just so you can go to an outdoor concert was the thought in the back of my mind, I have to admit.

On my subway ride to meet Steve and Ellen, I began a book that has been on my reading list for a while now: Francis Chan's Crazy Love. I'm only on the second chapter, but already I am feeling challenged and encouraged. Chan writes, "Whatever God's reasons for such diversity, creativity, and sophistication in the universe, on earth, and in our own bodies, the point of it all is His glory. God's art speaks of Himself, reflecting who He is and what He is like. 'The heavens declare the glory of God: the skies proclaim the work of his hands. . . . Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world' Psalm 19:1-4."

This quote played over in my head as I lay on the blanket and watched the sky and listened to the orchestra play. The sky above us was gorgeous-- and blue. I had to laugh-- ah the weathermen, wrong again! And then I looked to the right. And saw thunderclouds. To the left? Thunderclouds. North? Thunderclouds. I turned around.... South? Yep, thunderclouds there too. And then I really had to laugh. There was literally one patch of blue sky, and it was over the Great Lawn where we were all sitting.

Chan goes on: "It is sobering to realize that this is the same God who is holy and eternal, the Maker of the billions of galaxies and thousands of tree species in the rainforest. This is the God who takes the time to know all the little details about each of us. He does not have to know us so well, but He chooses to."

"The skies proclaim the work of his hands."

And I was wrong again-- God cares about the little details of my life much more than I have dared to hope.

1 comment:

Total Pageviews