Saturday, July 10, 2010

Cell Phone Identity Crisis

I'm sitting on the porch swing at my parents' house in Maryland, sipping a mojito. Ah, the golden days of summer. It's funny-- I love being here because it's not the city; yet at the same time, every visit makes me pretty sure that I'll never live anywhere but the city. Weird, right? But who knows.... today was just another reminder that I have no home; that I have no idea where I'll be living come September; that I have not put down roots anywhere with any success.

I got an iphone today. I found out that I could join my parents' family plan and save money by getting an iphone v. my previous plan with Verizon. Um.... okay!!! So I talked to multiple sales people to make sure I could keep my phone number and still join their plan (even though they're in Maryland) and everyone assured me this would not be a problem. Ha! Not remotely true.

Nine hours later, I have an iphone. And a new phone number. Turns out, to join my parents' family plan I have to be in the same "region" that they are-- so I can choose from Virginia, West Virginia ("Salt in my wound!" I told the salesman when he suggested this one), DC (this is what I chose), or Baltimore. Yes, I did sit at the AT&T store and have a huge inner (ok, and outer) debate about losing my phone number just for the sake of getting a new phone with internet capability. My dad sat there saying, "Anne, you've gotta make a decision." And then he said, "I know this is an emotional decision, but this is going to save you quite a bit of money; I don't think it's worth holding onto your phone number for $500..."

An emotional decision? It's just a phone number. Right? That's what you're thinking, isn't it? That's what the sales guy was probably thinking. To some extent, it's what my dad was probably thinking too; though he knows me well enough to understand a bit more. But here's the deal...

My "201" number is the only tie I have to my life in North Jersey-- the only place where I've lived for more than 3 years. Ever. I can't go back to a house there; my parents have moved to Maryland. I'm not trading my number in for a new phone number that ties me to a place-- I wouldn't even know where to choose. New York? Philly? Even if those were options, I wouldn't know which to choose. Where is home? North Jersey is the closest I can get, but I can't keep/get a phone number there now..... My number is the last tangible link I have to the place I consider "home"; yet here it goes.

And my eyes filled with tears. In the chair at the AT&T store. But this is my blog, so you're not allowed to judge me for that.....

6 comments:

  1. I hear you - just went through that giving up my Massachusetts number...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne, I cried when my parents had to give up their phone number because they were going to Honduras. I understand the weird feelings! They had had that number my whole life. The cool thing was that when they moved back to CO their number was still available, so they got it back (something about how long the phone company keeps a number out of circulation depends on how long the customer has had the number. Since they had it 30+ years it had to be out of circulation for like 5 years, so they were able to get it back.)

    Phil has to get a new phone because Wheaton doesn't support Blackberry. I'm afraid it is going to trigger a wholesale shift for us too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you should hang on to your number with google voice, or at least get one in your area code, so people can call you locally with ease. The google voice number (which is free) will then ring your cell phone (and home phone and work phone -- what ever phones you want) when someone calls it. It is no longer invite only. I highly recommend it. http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is just something abut a NJ area code!
    I loved that you still had a 201, the only person I knew who did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. no judging here -- I totally understand the emotional connection to something as simple as a phone number! hang in there :) love, MTR

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear you, Anne. I might have left 3 years ago, but I refuse to give up my Philly (Overbrook) number. I've had it for 12 years.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews