Sunday, July 25, 2010

Keep steady the pillars

"What a time of emotional upheaval for you," wrote a good friend in an email this week. "How are you doing?"

Emotional upheaval? I feel stable and calm compared to what I was like in Philly. Yet she's right. Lots of changes, lots of uncertainty-- some good and exciting, some hard and confusing. Overall, strange mixes of emotions that range anywhere from joy and enthusiasm to sadness and anxiety. Emotional upheaval-- maybe that's what I've been feeling but not able to name.

And then I read this tonight:
"When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants,
it is I who keep steady its pillars" (Psalm 75:3).

The earth and all its inhabitants are tottering? Sounds to me like that's even worse than emotional upheaval! And yet, even then God's not caught off guard. In fact, he's actually the one that's giving whatever stability there is.

Lord, when my the details of my life totter and my future seems unstable, please keep steady the pillars. Give me peace knowing that you are in control; give me faith to believe that you're holding all the pieces together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews