Friday, May 7, 2010

Welcome.... Home??

That's what Gretchen kept saying as we drove into Brooklyn.... Welcome, yes-- I'd like to feel welcome here. Home? Uh, not so sure....

What a strange mix of emotions.

"Home is where the heart is," Gretchen continued when I balked at her welcome. Well, that makes no sense, because this heart is torn between Philly and New York and probably a little bit in Maryland and a little bit in England.....

Either way, we had a good evening here. Lindsay is here because she had an opera audition today and another tomorrow, so she's spending the night. If you ever really want to mess with the feelings of home, take a roommate from the old residence and stick her in the new one-- confusing! But it was fun to have her here. Dinner with Gretchen, Lindsay, Steve, Ellen, and Ellen's mom; walking around Cobble Hill; hanging out in the new apartment. It's been a full, but good, day.

I guess I've never liked moving, even when it was just a couple blocks away. It's partly my fear of missing out; it's partly the uncertainty of what the future holds. Moving to a different city and having no idea how long it's for-- am I a resident here or just a guest??-- has added a whole new dimension to that struggle.

I guess I'm "home" at least for the summer....

Good night, New York. Thanks for having me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews