Thursday, May 27, 2010

Danny's Revisited

I stopped by Danny's today to get my paycheck. He'd told me last week that it would be ready any day after Tuesday. Well, last I checked Thursday comes after Tuesday; but today he said it wasn't ready yet and that I should come back tomorrow....

Gretchen came with me on her way to the subway; we grabbed coffee and sat for a while after my little exchange with Danny. Camille was there-- happy to see me, but looked ready to cry. She told me in hushed tones that she'd threatened to quit that morning but Danny had begged her to stay. Honestly I'm not sure how that place is still open... the one other customer we sat near announced loudly that he would not be coming back again.

It's weird to think about how many people we come into contact with over the course of our lives. And I believe God is sovereign and working out his plan, so I believe that each one of those contacts has a distinct purpose. I can't quite make sense of it.... I wonder why I met Camille; I wonder why I care about her so deeply, having known her for only three days; and I wonder if this is the end of the story of my interaction with her.

I'm going to go back for my paycheck tomorrow to see if it's "ready." Hopefully Camille will be working; maybe I'll see if she wants to have lunch someday next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews