Friday, May 14, 2010

O Black Hole, why do you taunt me so?

The Black Hole of Communication. How I loathe thee.

You might be familiar with it-- that place where emails/texts/phone calls go, never to be returned. It's never the emails that don't matter, the texts that are just "hello!" without looking for a response. It's the emails that you a.go.nize. over, getting every word perfect and pouring out way too much of your emotional energy. Those are the forms of communication that I swear are especially vulnerable to the lure of The Black Hole.

I'm sad to report that the Black Hole is now extending its reach to other forms of communication. Here in New York, at least, the Black Hole is also hungry for resumes, and it is in cahoots with store owners and school administrators alike. I send out my resumes, I call and follow up; always the response: "We'll give you a call." Never a phone call.

It's defeating, really. At what point does one stop sending out various forms of communication, whether emails or resumes? Are the odds in my favor that eventually I will begin to get responses? Or am I really just becoming a pathetic human being that isn't taking the hint that No One Wants to Talk to You?

Ugh. I'm gonna go make some coffee....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews