Monday, May 24, 2010

Subway Serenade

New York is full of surprises. Not all good, I'm sure; but so far it's been a rather pleasant experience.

On my commute today, I was reading my book (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-- how appropriate, right?!) and time was passing quickly. At the stop before mine, four men got on and I didn't think anything of it. And then a low note was hummed and then voila! Instant barbershop quartet concert!

They had beautiful voices, and their first selection was a love song-- soothing, beautiful, wistful. As they passed through the train collecting money from any appreciative passengers, I found myself hoping they weren't finished yet. They weren't, and the next song was even better. They were at the far end of the train by then, but the words floated clearly to where I was sitting:

If we ever need the Lord,
Boy, we sure do need him now--
We need him every day
And every hour...


I had that chorus in my head as I started my first real day of training on the new job. I couldn't help but think how appropriate that song is for my summer.

Boy, I sure do need him now....

1 comment:

  1. Oh! I think I know that song...at least I know an acapella song with those words. One of my favorites from back in the day. :)

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews