Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Gospel Pedicure

I got two pedicures for my birthday. One I got in the form of a gift certificate (thanks Ellen!!); the other I got in the form of a sermon. Weird, right? Let me explain...

Pastor Simbala at Brooklyn Tabernacle this past Sunday preached from Romans 10:10-15. He called it "Gospel Rewind." The passage, in case you're not familiar with it, goes like this:

For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame. "For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can they preach unless they are sent? As it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!"

He talked about simple the gospel is: IF people believe in Jesus, THEN they will be saved. They don't have to be Baptists or Catholics or sprinkled or dunked or do a certain number of good works. All we need to do to be saved is to believe in Jesus Christ. It's simple, really. But the passage keeps going.... How can people believe if they don't KNOW? And how can they know if they haven't HEARD? And how can they hear if they haven't been TOLD? And how can they be told unless WE are SENT?

I like to think I love people. I care a lot about my family, my friends, my co-workers, even my acquaintances. But this sermon challenged me all over again if I really love people. Do I love them enough to tell them about Jesus? Do I love them enough to be thought a fool or a crazy Christian for the sake of sharing the gospel with them? Is bringing the good news always the ultimate goal of my interactions? Not because I want them to be like me or to think I'm something special-- but because I love them enough to want them to spend eternity in heaven. I can't take anything with me when I die-- not success, not money, not possessions-- but I can see the people I love in heaven. That should be enough motivation right there!

I want to have beautiful feet. With all the walking I do in the city, I'm not sure I can ever get enough spa pedicures to make that possible. But here I have the secret to the kind of beautiful feet that really matters: bringing the good news to others!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews