Friday, September 3, 2010

This is the song that never ends

I have a couple postcards hanging on the wall next to my mirror; each one has a verse or a quote on it that I can read as I blowdry my hair in the morning. One of them has a chunk of Isaiah 43 on it (emphasis added by me)--

1 But now, this is what the LORD says—
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have summoned you by name; you are mine.

2 When you pass through the waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
they will not overwhelm you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze.

3 For I am the LORD, your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior;
I give Egypt for your ransom,
Cush and Seba in your stead.

4 Since you are precious and honored in my sight,
and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
and people in exchange for your life.

5 Do not be afraid, for I am with you....

I read this as I blowdryed my hair the other morning. Almost instantly, parts from "How Firm a Foundation" began to play in my head (turns out, the hymn is based on Isaiah 43, but I'd never realized that...):

"Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress....

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I will not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never, forsake!"

One of the beautiful things about music is that it helps you remember the words-- you know how when you were in school and had to memorize a list of things, one of the tricks was to set the list to music? Well, the same thing works with Scripture verses; set them to music, and they'll keep playing through your head.

Sometimes it's really annoying to get a song stuck in your head. But this week, I've just been really glad that this is the song I have stuck in mine-- "Fear not, I am with you; oh, be not dismayed!"

For I am precious in his sight. I am honored in his sight. He will be with me, and I will not be overwhelmed. I am redeemed. He has called me by name, and I am his. I am loved by God.


And that song doesn't end. It will never end because God never changes, and he has loved me from the beginning of time. I have no reason to be afraid of tomorrow-- or of today-- for he is with me, and that's never going to change.

1 comment:

  1. Have you heard the other hymn from Isaiah 43?
    http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/hymns/i09.html

    You can hear a clip here: http://www.igracemusic.com/hymnbook/demos/Isaiah43.mp3

    We sing it in RUF. It's amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews