Wednesday, June 9, 2010

"So, I like you...."

...said the woman interviewing me this morning.

Sa-weet!!!! Does that mean I have a JOB???


"But," she continued (why is there always a "but"?!), "my supervisor will need to meet you first; I don't have the authority to hire anyone."

Let me back up.

My faithful blog readers may remember that during my 3-day stint at Danny's, I had a table of staff members from Harlem Children's Zone (see blog post "A Tip of a Different Color"). One of the women at the table, Emmanuella, gave me her email address and told me she would circulate my resume around the organization if I would email it to her. I did. And she kept up her end of the bargain. Last Friday I got a phone call from a woman named Vanessa, and she set up an interview for this morning.

We talked a lot about my experiences in Philadelphia and why I want to work with inner-city kids; and she was excited about how I could fit with their program. It's a part-time position, but it would be helping with their summer program during July and the first part of August-- with the option to continue with their after-school program in the fall. I've been wanting to learn how to run a sustainable outreach to inner city kids, and this organization is definitely that!

Pretty much everyone I work with at Alice's is working there to allow them to do what they really want to-- for most of them, that's acting or singing or writing. I'm pretty excited that the way the scheduling works, it would mean that I could pursue what I really want to do, even if "working with inner city kids" still doesn't classify me as an artist like the rest of them. ;)

So, I'm supposed to hear from Vanessa's supervisor today (hmm.... doesn't look like that is gonna happen....) or tomorrow. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Total Pageviews