Tuesday, June 29, 2010

All You Need Is.... Passion?

I'm not the newest kid on the Alice's block anymore. Marlon, a new busser, started today. He's a friendly, cheerful guy from Jamaica who sings to himself as he goes about his work. He doesn't add sugar or honey to his tea because, as he says, "My blood is made of honey, mon. I am sweet enough."

When you meet another Alice's employee, the question is always "What type of artist are you?" Marlon knows the drill. Just about the first question he asked me was "So, are you an actress, a singer, or a writer?"

Oh no, I break the mold. I am none of the above.

Ryan (a writer) overheard this. "That's not true; you're an artist! Tell him!"

Um.... then you know something I don't know.... I don't think drawing signs for the different flavors of scones counts as being an "artist."

"Tell him-- about the helping people thing. It's the best kind of art!"

Ah.

Yeah, I want to work with inner city kids.

"Oh mon. You need patience to do that!"

I know....

"Why you think you'll be good with inner city children? They are a different breed!"

And so I told him.... how these kids have my heart, and how I think so much of it boils down to their desire to be loved and cared about-- how if you take the time to listen to what they're upset about, you'll earn their trust, their respect, and their love. And how, though it might take a long time, you will eventually see that they stop looking for attention in negative ways because they'd much rather have your positive attention. I went on.... really just talking about my experience with my basketball team and how much I love those girls.

"Wow," he said when I finished. "You are perfect for this work!"

Oh I hope so.

I just hope someone else agrees so I can get a job in that field!

"Oh you will."

I really hope you're right.

"No, mon. You have passion. When you have passion, you can overcome any obstacle. You will be fine. You have the passion."

I sure hope he's right....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews