Thursday, January 13, 2011

How Sweet It's Been

When you walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (which is probably one of my favorite things to do in NYC), you'll be greeted by a sign that says "Welcome to Brooklyn. How Sweet It Is." It's Brooklyn's motto, and it made me smile all sorts of smiles when I first moved here just eight months ago (just?? has it really been eight months?!?!).

But tonight I came "home to Brooklyn" for the last time. My room is almost all packed; I am sitting on the edge of my bed, surrounded by boxes and suitcases and a little pile of the last-minute things I'll need tonight or tomorrow morning. Tomorrow I am moving to Manhattan.

Ever since I was little, I've wanted to live in New York City. When I moved to Brooklyn, I told my brother "It's cool; I mean, it's kind of New York City. But I can't help but feel like I'm so close and yet still so far away from living my dream." Well, here it is. A dream come true. Literally. I'm pretty psyched.

But don't get me wrong. Brooklyn has, indeed, been sweet. This Pumpkin has grown a lot in Brooklyn. It's been a bit of the painful kind of growth (ah, growing pains....) but also a bit of the fun kind of growing-- like when you ride a bike for the first time or learn to tie your shoes and have inklings of So this is what it's like to be a grown-up even though you're really still young and have so much more growing to do.

I'll come back to visit this borough. I have to-- the Best Coffee on Earth is sold at a store in Cobble Hill, just a few blocks from our current apartment (and we could only buy so much today to take with us). And the Promenade will forever be one of my favorite spots from which I can see the Manhattan skyline and the Statue of Liberty while walking by the water. Yes, Brooklyn has it's charming spots, which I fully intend to visit again.

I never would have guessed that I'd live in Brooklyn. But I'm glad I did.

Goodbye Brooklyn. How Sweet It's Been.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews