Thursday, January 27, 2011

Can't Fight the Fire

"When you're a writer, you just can't turn it off," said Ryan, a poet/waiter that I work with at Alice's. "It's not always a good thing; but you can't turn it off even when you want to."

I found myself nodding in agreement.

I write all the time in my head. Sometimes it's to my detriment.... Like today when the homeless guy started pontificating about my great rainboots (I mean, he was right... I just got them, and they are pretty amazing, but still...) and I couldn't bring myself to walk away because all I could think about was writing about this bizarre conversation.

So yeah, I agree with Ryan. If you're a writer, you can't turn it off- it's just a part of who you are.

I'm finally beginning to embrace this about myself.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not a writer in the truest sense of the word but I do feel like throughout the day I'm blogging in my head, or journaling, or writing poems and letters. It keeps the day fun and interesting and always alive--well at least for me.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews