Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ayiti nan maten an!

It means "Haiti in the morning!" in Haitian Creole. (Yes, I looked it up on Google-translate.)

But seriously, I'm leaving for Haiti in the morning!!! Someone suggested we start journaling even before we go. I haven't had time, but it has made me think a bit more consciously about my expectations, fears, etc.

I asked my dad (who's been there before) what he thinks will be hardest for me. He said, "The need. You'll be overwhelmed by how much need there is everywhere."

Oh man, I thought he was going to say something like "being brave when you see huge spiders in your room" or something like that. Something I could just brush off and brace myself for and prove that I really am brave. 

But being overwhelmed by need? I wasn't quite ready for that. I take things personally. Sometimes for good, sometimes for bad; but I deeply feel other people's problems. I hadn't thought about it being overwhelming.

Mostly I'm excited. Excited to teach English in a village. Excited to play with kids at VBS. Excited to meet children and love them. Excited to have my perspective changed. Scared to have my perspective changed.

So I leave in seven hours. I should probably get to bed....

{I probably won't have internet access while I'm there, so I'm planning to journal while I'm gone and then update the blog when I get back so you can share a bit of the experience.}

Pray for us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews