Monday, November 29, 2010

O, Christmas Tree

How much are those trees? -- I asked the man, as I pointed to a short little Christmas tree on the sidewalk a few blocks from our apartment.
"The short ones are $25. They go up to $50," he said, as he pointed first to a 2 foot tree, then to a 3 foot tree.
Oh. Um. How much are the bigger ones? Maybe for some reason the short ones are more popular in New York because space is limited? Maybe the tall ones won't be crazy expensive??
"These are $180."
Wrong yet again.
Um.... what about the slightly shorter ones?
"They start at $90 and go to $180."
Okay, thanks. I'll have to think about it.
Think about it?? As in, do I have any other options?! I sure hope so!!

So when the guy at the stand near work (on the Upper West Side) told me that their 4-foot trees started at $30 and the most expensive ones were $90, I was thrilled. A group of us met up to enjoy Winter's Eve, one of the largest holiday festivals in New York City (it was awesome, by the way). When we parted, Gretchen and I headed back to that corner store to pick out a tree.

And yes, that meant we had to lug it home on the subway.

People smiled at us as they saw us carrying the 7-foot tree down the stairs and then standing with it on the subway platform.
"It's Christmas! Smells good!" said one woman as we waited for our train to come.
We worked the tree into the subway car and tried not to be in the way-- kind of hard to do with a 7-foot tree that's not wrapped very tightly. But people were gracious, and even entertained. Two guys got on the subway, took one look at us, and just started laughing.
"Where did you get that?"
At a corner store on 73rd and Columbus! It's the cheapest one we've been able to find. You should go there!
"And you're taking it on the subway. Awesome."

A few stops later another guy got on, looked at us, and said "That's amazing."
What, I don't get what's so funny? -- I quipped with a straight face.
"The tree. It's just funny! It's great! It's hard to move big things in New York. I'm glad you're taking the subway. It's just great!"

I love Christmas. I love that everyone is a bit more relaxed, is a bit more willing to smile and chat. I love that people in New York understand it's important to have a Christmas tree, even if it means carrying it from the far end of Manhattan to Brooklyn to get one you can afford.

I can smell our tree from my room, the fresh Christmas scent wafting in from the living room.

And it makes me really happy.

6 comments:

  1. Anne, My sis passed along your blog to me, and I've really enjoyed the clear images and snippets of life you portray; thanks:). -Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. (oops! That comment is Alison (now) Angell:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You missed the most important part! What's it's name?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved reading this. You made me smile. I am so glad that you got your Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this wonderful image in my head of you squeezing that marvel of a tree through the turnstile in the subway.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews