Thursday, November 18, 2010

Love them like Jesus

One of the ways I love people is that I feel very personally what they're feeling. I'm not sure yet if this is a strength or a weakness. I do know that it can feel very overwhelming at times. This week has been no exception, as people that I care so much about are going through really hard things. I want to fix their problems; I want to give them the right answers-- but I've got nothin'. I don't have the solutions, I can't fix them, I can't even make things hurt less. And boy, do I hate being out of control.

Quite randomly this morning, I chose to listen to Casting Crowns on my commute to work. When this song came on, it hit me hard:

Just love them like Jesus, carry them to Him
His yoke is easy, His burden is light
You don’t need the answers to all of life’s questions
Just know that He loves them and stay by their side
Love them like Jesus

I want so badly to have the perfect words to say. I want to give the right answers to all of life's questions. But I give myself too much credit. Nothing I can come up with will be the magic solution. The real thing I need to do is to show my friends who are hurting that Jesus loves them even more than I do-- and that even my love for them is because of Jesus' love for me. And that when I love them imperfectly, Jesus loves them perfectly.

It kind of takes a load off. I don't have to come up with anything. I just have to bring them to Jesus; he'll provide the answers they need.

1 comment:

  1. It's a strength. How many people are willing to truly feel what others feel and help them carry their burdens? It's a great gift you have, Anne. It may also by your greatest source of pain, but if your greatest source of pain is because you love others, then that is strength indeed.

    ReplyDelete

Total Pageviews