Thursday, July 12, 2012

Reflections on Haiti: Dirty, Beautiful Feet

[From Tuesday, July 3]

This girl today kept holding my hand and wanted to be by my side non-stop before we went inside to start the program. JB, one of the translators, tapped me on the shoulder and pointed to her feet. "It's hot on the pavement," he said. "The other kids have sandals. She's going to burn her feet."

So I lifted her and let her stand on my feet, her feet on top of mine.

Another man tapped me. "Your feet are getting dirty."

It's okay-- I told him-- it's just dirt; it'll wash off.

He was right. My feet were dirty. My feet are dirty. They have been all week. I thought they were tan-- until I got in the shower and realized it was just several layers of dirt. But tonight one of the women reminded us that our feet are beautiful because we are spreading the gospel.

He was right. They sure were dirty. But he forgot to tell me what God reminded me of later-- my feet were dirty, but they were also beautiful.

"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings, who proclaim salvation...." Isaiah 52:7.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews