Saturday, February 14, 2015

Cosmic Search Party

"Happy Valentine's Day," said the man on the sidewalk as we walked past.

I paused. Was he homeless, or was he just being friendly? I couldn't tell, and I didn't want to offend him if I guessed wrong.

Guys, I think we need to go back. I think he was homeless-- I said to my teammates.
"What do we say?"
I don't know what to say, I told God. Can you give us the right words?

"You are about to participate in a cosmic search party," Josiah (the man leading the training) had said. "God is inviting you to go out to those streets and find the one that he's looking for.... leave the 99, and go look for the one." Don't Walk By is an annual street outreach during which volunteers canvas all of Manhattan, looking for men and women living on the streets who might need a meal, medical attention, or other help. I showed up thinking I was participating in an outreach; I learned that I got to be part of God's search party.

I don't know if you've ever had the experience of looking for someone who was lost. I hope for your sake you haven't and that you never have to. This fall one of my kids was missing, and I spent three of the scariest days of my life looking for her. If I could have gotten people to hold hands with me and canvas every inch of New York City with me, I would have. That image flashed into my mind when Josiah invited us to join God's search party. God was inviting us to search with the same earnestness that I had felt looking for that girl in the fall.

Hi sir, would you like a hot meal? 
"I just want to wish you a Happy Valentine's Day. I don't want to hurt anyone. I'm telling you the truth."
I know sir; we just thought you might like to be warm.... Would you like to come get a hot meal and a bed for tonight?
"I'm Carolyn. What's your name?" -- said my teammate.
"William. William Banks," he replied.

We stood there with William for the next half hour, talking to him while we waited for the transport team to take him to the anchor church for a hot meal and medical attention. We learned that he used to be a chef until he had an accident that cost him the use of his left hand. Cooking was his passion, but he can't do it anymore and has yet to find work that he can do. A half hour later, we helped him into the transport van and they drove him off to the church. As we started to close the van door, he paused--

"Ladies?" he said.
Yes? -- and he looked us in the eyes.
"Happy Valentine's Day."

**
We saw William back at the church. He was sitting at a table with hot food in front of him, and he was going to get medical help as soon as he finished eating. I hope he is in a warm bed even as I type this.

God, thank you for letting us be part of your cosmic search party. Thank you that you wanted us to meet William tonight, and that you were just as happy as we were when he came back to the church with us. Please keep him safe, and please let this be the first step he takes toward a new life and a new personal relationship with you. Thank you for the reminder on this Valentine's Day that you love each of your children that bear your image-- whether they live in a penthouse on Fifth Avenue or on a street corner in East Harlem. Help us to have this attitude every time we go out, that we'd participate in your cosmic search party that longs to extend your love to the poor and vulnerable we walk past every day. Amen.

1 comment:

Total Pageviews