Friday, February 15, 2013

Throwaway Scripture?

"Exceedingly, abundantly above all we can ask or imagine," Gretchen said to me today. "So do we believe it-- really believe it applies to us-- or is it just some throwaway Scripture?"

You probably remember that I have a love-hate relationship with Valentine's Day (If you don't remember, I think this previous post sums up my views pretty well). And to be honest, it gets harder each year. I think you can only tell yourself "maybe this will be my last Valentine's Day as a single" so many times before you start to wonder if you'll experience it any other way. It can be easy to be cynical and hard to keep hoping and trusting.

Don't get me wrong-- I'm not caving in; I'm still actively fighting those feelings of cynicism. I still love Valentine's Day. From a distance, true; but I still love it (or, at the very least, still want to love it). And I am still fighting to believe that God is a loving Father who delights to give me good gifts and is planning something exceedingly, abundantly above all I can ask or imagine.

It's a Scripture I can't afford to throw away; so I'm going to cling to it with all I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews